World Map Specifications

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: World Map Specifications

Post  maximinus on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29 pm

Sorry about the slow reply - I've had a ton of overtime at work recently Sad

Well, from the bat, it does look pretty nice, which is a good start. My only real issue is that is looks like it's got a white bloom effect applied to it, and also maybe the line around land might need to be defined (MIGHT, since I'm still digesting the image).

Also, we can save some space by rotating the image about 7 degrees anti-clockwise and trimming the image (we lose some of africa and a chunk of the russian forests - no loss at all really.

Good work, and I'll probably see how it looks in-game over the next few days Very Happy
maximinus
Admin

View user profile http://sourceforge.net/projects/spqr/

Back to top Go down

The rework

Post  Toeholds on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:55 am

I redid most of the map (all except freshwater). Getting it right is more challenging than I thought - it just dawned on me that we're talking about a moderately large piece that is always examined pixel-by-pixel. Nevertheless, this is currently looking decent both locally and globally. I think this goes well with realistically rendered, glassy "pieces", and clean, vector-like meta-communications (e.g., arrows, hexes, GUI). The three-prong approach hints to the different roles of the graphics, and add to the board-game feel of the game.

A mock-up follows. I find the current GUI taking up unnecessary space (e.g., a large stretch of white across the bottom), and would prefer the info to be more compact. But obviously, getting the core code into a playable state is the important thing, and there's plenty to do before we have the luxury to redo what currently works.

Last edited by Toeholds on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:30 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : wording)

Toeholds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Toeholds wrote:A mock-up follows. I find the current GUI taking up unnecessary space (e.g., a large stretch of white across the bottom), and would prefer the info to be more compact. But obviously, getting the core code into a playable state is the important thing, and there's plenty to do before we have the luxury to redo what currently works.

Looks pretty to me! Very Happy

Part of the reason for the white space at the bottom was that when I first started coding the game I was on an AMD 1.6 GHz and blitting the whole screen in software rendering was a bit slow; the white space removed that issue (and made the viewable map area smaller as a side effect). I think that now, full-screen blitting would not be an issue.

Also, I spent a *LOT* of time working on the widgets for the game, and having them alpha-blitted over the map is not an issue at all. I just need to change a few blit commands.
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Toeholds on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:05 am

Good stuff. We can revisit this when the gameplay is clearer (I still don't get a good sense of the whole card and person thing). The map is in your inbox. It still need some work on the details, but it should be good enough for now.

Toeholds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm

A modified version of toeholds final map will be in SVN in a day or two. It's BIG, that's for sure: about 4100 x 3000!
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top